Arthritis Pain Relief with Home Remedies for Arthritis
Arthritis is one of the most chronic joint diseases of the world. The word arthritis is derived from two Greek words - athron, meaning joints; and itis, meaning inflammation.
Thus, arthritis is defined as the inflammation of one or more joints. Any part of the body can become inflamed or painful from arthritis. Some rheumatic conditions can result in weakening, even life-threatening complications or may affect other parts of the body including muscles, bones and internal organs.
Arthritis can affect anyone at any age, including children. Women are more prone as compared to men.
Types of arthritis:
There are more than 100 known types of arthritis. The following are the most commonly occurring types and account for 90 per cent of arthritis cases:
1) Rheumatoid arthritis
2) Osteoarthritis - a degenerative disorder that mainly occurs in women after menopause, but it may occur in young age also.
3) Ankylosing sponndylitis - affects the spine
4) Systemic lupus erythematosus - affects the sun exposed areas of the skin, such as the cheeks; internal organs can also be affected by inflammation.
5) Juvenile arthritis
6) Fibromyalgia - sleep dysfunction and irritable bowel symptoms
7) Gout - severe acute attacks of joint pain and swelling, in the big toe, the ankle, knee and elbow. This is caused due to deposition of uric acid crystals.
What causes arthritis?
Exact cause of the arthritis is not known.
1) Triggering agents, such as germs, which cause tuberculosis, pneumonia can affect the joints, causing arthritis.
2) Structural changes in the articular cartilage in the joints, usually those that are weight bearing, such as the spine and knees - main cause of osteoarthritis.
3) Deposition of uric acid in the joints.
5) Hormonal imbalance, physical or emotional stress causes rheumatoid arthritis.
6) If suffering from syphilis and gonorrhoea, can be another possible cause for arthritis.
7) Climatic conditions such as cold and moisture can aggravate discomfort.
Different types of arthritis have different symptoms. In general, arthritis is associated with pain and stiffness in the joints for at least 3 days in a week over the last two months.
Some common symptoms include:
1) Mild swelling, pain and tenderness in the joints of the fingers, wrists, knees and feet.
2) Pain gets aggravated by any sort of movement in the joint.
3) Fever and stress
5) Weight loss
6) Joints feel red and warm.
7) Inflammation of the heart, lungs, eyes, nerves, blood vessels and lymph glands
Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthritis. There are various treatment options, which help with managing pain and reducing deformity and disability. Early diagnosis is very important in getting arthritis under control.
Treatment options vary depending on the type of arthritis and include physical and occupational therapy, medications, Exercise of the joints is important in the case of arthritis, to help prevent the stiffness of muscles and joints.
There are several drugs that are used for the pain and inflammation of arthritis, but most of them are not very effective, because they cause lot of side effects. Side effects include gastrointestinal problems, such as, bleeding ulcers, stomach pain; which interfere with the synthesis of collagen, (fundamental for the formation of cartilage.
As a last resort, arthroplasty may be suggested. This, literally meaning 'formation of joint' is an orthopadic surgical procedure, in which the arthritic or dysfunctional joint surface is replaced with something better.
Home remedies for arthritis:
* Intake of ample amounts of vitamin C in the form of citrus fruits, vegetables is a good home remedy for rheumatoid arthritis.
* Yoga is an effective ayurveda treatment to prevent and reduce joint stiffness, and increase their movement. This is useful in Arthritis pain relief
* Garlic contains anti-inflammatory properties, which is effective in the treatment of arthritis. Garlic may be taken raw or cooked.
* Lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water taken 2-3 times daily is effective for the treatment of arthritis. The citric acid found in lime is a solvent of uric acid which is the primary cause of some types of arthritis. This remedy is considered as effective Home Remedy For Arthritis
* Half teaspoon of turmeric powder taken with warm milk twice a day is beneficial in arthritis pain relief.
* Rubbing the aching joints with hot sesame oil before going to bed gives relief to the pain. Alternatively, warm coconut oil or mustard oil, mixed with two or three pieces of camphor should be massaged on stiff and aching joints. It will increase blood supply, and reduce inflammation and stiffness.
* Another herb known as Guggul is very helpful in curing arthritis. If available, eat half a teaspoon twice a day after meals with warm water.
* Raw potato juice therapy - Potatoes soaked in cold water - The water should be drunk in the morning on an empty stomach. Fresh juice can also be extracted from potatoes. This remedy is considered as useful Home Remedy For Arthritis
About the author:
Dr James Sameul is an Ayurvedic doctor having years of experience in the field of Ayurveda and Alternative medicine. Find out more Home Remedies for Arthritis at http://www.natural-homeremedies.org/ He has an exclusive website on Home Remedies for various diseases. You can also contribute to the Home remedies by visiting the website