Make items on your computer screen appear bigger (Magnifier)
Windows Magnifier enlarges different parts of the screen and is part of the Windows Ease of Access Center.
* To open it quickly, click Start, and then type Magnifier.
* To exit Magnifier quickly, press the Windows logo key +Esc.
(You can also change the screen resolution, which adjusts the clarity, size, and amount of things that fit on your computer monitor.)
There are three Magnifier modes:
• Full-screen mode. In full-screen mode, your entire screen is magnified. Depending on the size of your screen and the zoom level you choose, you might not be able to see all of the screen at the same time.
• Lens mode. In lens mode, the area around the mouse pointer is magnified. When you move the mouse pointer, the area of the screen that's magnified moves along with it.
• Docked mode. In docked mode, only a portion of the screen is magnified, leaving the rest of your desktop unchanged. You can then control which area of the screen is magnified.
Full-screen mode and lens mode are only available as part of the Aero experience. If your computer doesn't support Aero, or if you're not using an Aero theme, Magnifier will only work in docked mode.
To make items on the screen appear bigger
1. Open Magnifier by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Magnifier.
2. On the Views menu, click the mode that you want to use.
3. Move the pointer to the part of the screen that you want to magnify.
• When you're using full-screen mode, you can quickly preview your entire desktop by clicking the Views menu, and then clicking Preview full screen.
If you want to have Magnifier at your fingertips, you can pin Magnifier to the taskbar or start menu.
Magnifier Keyboard Shortcuts
Zoom in or out
Windows logo key + Plus Sign (+) or Minus Sign (-)
Preview the desktop in full-screen mode
Switch to full-screen mode
Switch to lens mode
Switch to docked mode
Pan in the direction of the arrow keys
Resize the lens
Windows logo key + Esc
To Start Magnifier
Open Magnifier by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Magnifier.
To choose where Magnifier focuses
1. Click the Options button, and then select the option that you want:
Follow the mouse pointer
Displays the area around the mouse pointer in the Magnifier window. When you select this option, you can choose to have the Magnifier window move when the mouse pointer approaches or when the mouse pointer hits the edge of the Magnifier window.
Follow the keyboard focus
Displays the area around the pointer when you press the Tab or arrow keys.
Have Magnifier follow the text insertion point
Displays the area around the text that you're typing.
To change the zoom level
Click Zoom in or press the Windows logo key +Plus sign
Click Zoom out or press the Windows logo key +Minus sign
To set the zoom increment
The zoom increment determines how quickly Magnifier zooms in and out.
1. Click the Options button, and then move the slider to adjust the zoom increment. Moving the slider to the left causes Magnifier to zoom slower, with smaller changes between zoom levels. Moving the slider to the right causes Magnifier to zoom faster, with larger changes between zoom levels.
To set the lens size
When you're using lens mode, you can adjust the size of the Magnifier lens.
1. Click the Options button, and then, under Magnifier Lens Size, move the sliders to adjust the size of the Magnifier lens. The lens size changes right away. Adjust the level until it's right for you.
• You need to use lens mode for the lens size options to appear.
• You can quickly change the lens size by pressing Ctrl+Alt+R, and then moving the pointer up and down to change the height, and left and right to change the width.
To turn on colour inversion
Turning on colour inversion increases the contrast between items on your screen, which can help make your screen easier to see.
1. Click the Options button, and then select the Turn on colour inversion check box.
To display the Magnifier toolbar
When you start using Magnifier, the Magnifier toolbar disappears to get out of your way, but you can display it again.
1. After Magnifier opens, click the magnifying glass icon on your screen or click the magnifier icon on the taskbar.