ADHD Parenting - 5 Great Ideas to Help Your ADHD Child in the Homework Battle
What is the greatest challenge in ADHD parenting? Very probably, it is the homework battle and all sorts of problems can arise if there is not a strategy or homework plan in place in your home. Here are five ideas that parents and friends of mine have tried and they seem to help.
1. We need to set a timetable but we can make it easier by doing the following. We give plenty of warnings that homework is going to start so this prepares the child for the activity, which is always at a set time during the day, in a quiet place away from distractions. This applies to other areas of ADHD parenting where routines and structures are all known well ahead of time.
2. Be there! We should sit with the child and see that he gets it done without nagging. That means giving the child full attention and support and it does not mean that we can check our emails while we are doing this.
3. I know parents who cannot be there so they get high school kids they know to help their child with homework and of course sit with them while they do that. If this works, you can gradually reduce the number of helper days. I know some parents who found that this was really beneficial and meant that they could all enjoy themselves as a family once they had got homework out of the way.
4. Another challenge in ADHD parenting is actually getting your kid to keep still while doing homework as fidgeting and restlessness are all part of ADHD. One way round this is to get a stability ball or exercise ball and let him sit on that while doing homework. Research actually shows that while kids are moving in some way they can focus and concentrate better.
5. Building breaks in and small rewards of healthy snacks is also a great way to keep things moving. This fits in nicely with rewards and consequences, which can be a great help in ADHD parenting.
The other great challenge in ADHD parenting is trying out different medication options. You may have tried psychostimulants and might be worried about side effects such as loss of appetite and sleeplessness, which is certainly going to have a knock on effect on homework. Maybe you should have a look at ADHD homeopathic remedies. They have no side effects and there are no health risks either. There is a lot of helpful information on my website below
About the author: Tired of unhappy,whining, badly behaved children? Discover how proper ADHD parenting can turn your child around. Experts now tell us that child behaviour programs combined with a natural treatment for ADHD is by far the most effective ADHD treatment.