disabled aids
disabled aids disabled equipment disabled aids
disabled equipment
  Disability Information for the Disabled from the Disabled.
disabled holiday information
DisabledInfo.co.uk - offering practical advice and information for the disabled from the disabled
DisabledInfo.co.uk offers advice and information for the disabled from the disabled
disabled holiday information
disabled holiday information
disabled equipment
disabled equipment
About the home
Life is too short
Out of the home
Support groups
.. Holidays
.. Products.
.. Services
.. Story's we can
.. Worth a mentio
disabled equipment
Your Stories
Chat Room
Disability Forums
Visitor FeedBack
Common Searches
Disability Links
About Us
Contact Us
Bookmark Us
Tell A Friend

disabled equipment disabled aids disabled equipment
   Travel > Services > The Blue Badge Schem
The Blue Badge Scheme - Common Questions - Part Four

I think a badge is being misused, what should I do?

Report the matter to your local council. If possible, you should get as many details as possible from the badge on display (name, serial number, expiry date, etc). The council will investigate the matter and take appropriate action if the badge can be shown to be displayed fraudulently.

Can I have a blue badge bay outside of my home?

Your local council is responsible for the provision of Disabled Persons' Parking Bays. They can designate bays on the highway but this may not always be possible due to local traffic and safety conditions. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis and you should contact your local council and ask for the Highways Department.

Who is responsible for the provisions of blue badge parking bays in town centres?

The local council is responsible for the provision of all types of parking bays within their area. If you have any concerns about the provision of blue badge bays, you should contact them to discuss the matter.

I see many non-disabled people parking in off-street bays, such as supermarket car parks, who should I complain to?

The blue badge bays provided in supermarket and other off-street car parks are not covered by the regulations governing the Blue Badge Scheme, which only apply to on-street bays. These bays are in most cases not legally enforceable and their use depends to a large extent on the courtesy and consideration of other drivers. If you see bays being abused by non-disabled people, we suggest you bring this to the attention of the appropriate store or car park operator.

I have received a parking ticket whilst displaying my badge, can anyone help?

The reason you have received a parking ticket will be indicated on the rear of the ticket itself. If you feel it was wrongly issued and wish to appeal, you should contact the parking enforcement office (whose details will also be on the rear of the ticket).

If this does not prove satisfactory, you may also wish to contact the National Parking Adjudication Service, an independent tribunal where impartial lawyers consider appeals by motorists and vehicle owners whose vehicles have been issued with a parking ticket (or have been removed or clamped) by councils in England and Wales.

They can be contacted at the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service, PO Box 1010, Sutton, Surrey SM1 5SW, or by Tel: 0207 747 4700, Fax: 0207 747 4707, or by visiting their website: londontribunals.gov.uk/.

Do I qualify for exemption from road tax?

The road tax exemption for disabled people is operated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). It is entirely independent of the Blue Badge Scheme. In order to qualify for an exemption, you must:

  • receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance; or
  • receive War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement; and
  • you have an invalid carriage.

    To claim exemption from vehicle tax, the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee).

    However, the vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions If it is being used by the nominee or someone else for their own personal needs, then the exemption will be lost and the normal rate of vehicle tax must be paid.

    To tax in the disabled tax class you'll need exemption certificate DLA404 if you get Disability Living Allowance or exemption certificate WPA442 if you get the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement.

    Are Blue Badge holders exempt from the London congestion charge?

    Yes. To Qualify for exemption from the charge, you must pre-register with Transport for London (TfL) and pay a one-off registration fee of £10. You need to apply at least 10 days before your journey.

    You can get a registration form by writing to Congestion Charging, PO Box 2985, Coventry CV7 8ZR, or by visiting their website at tfl.gov.uk, or by calling their helpline on 0845 900 1234 (Mincom 020 7649 9123).

    Advice for disabled people from Abroad

    The blue badge introduced a standard design of disabled persons' parking card across all European Union (EU) Member States. This enables disabled visitors from within the EU to enjoy the parking concessions provided in the UK by displaying the badge issued under their own national scheme.

    For visitors from countries outside of the EU where no formal arrangements currently exist, UK parking enforcement officials may be prepared to recognise your disabled motorists' badges, although that will be entirely at their own discretion. We suggest that you bring your badge with you and check with the local police in the areas you intend to visit.

    Where can I get further information on the Blue Badge Scheme?

    A list of the publications on the Scheme can be found at www.gov.uk/government/collections/blue-badge-scheme.

    disabled equipment disabled aids disabled equipment
    disabled equipment
      disabled holidays disabled aids disabled holidays disabled holidays disabled aids disabled holidays  
    disabled equipment
    disabled holiday information
    disabled holiday information
    disabled equipment
    disabled equipment
    disabled aids